We believe that the Promotion Ceremony should mark the successful completion of your time at Citrus Middle School. The following criteria have been set as requirements for 8th grade promotion and participation in the Promotion Ceremony at Citrus Middle School.
Eighth grade promotion ceremony requirements:
- A minimum score of 2 (“Standard Nearly Met”) on Smarter Balanced Assessment (SBA) in English/Language Arts (ELA) and Mathematics on the 7th grade SBA test; or, a minimum score of Basic/Standard Nearly Met on an alternate district-approved assessment in 8th grade.
- Grade Point Average GPA of 2.0 in 8th grade year. Additionally, students must have a "C" or better in ELA, Math, Science and Social Studies or complete an intervention plan.
- Any student with a Section 504 Plan or Individualized Educational Plan (IEP), will meet promotion ceremony and activity requirements as established through their respective 504 Plan or IEP teams.
- Excused or Unexcused Absences: 15 days or less (including suspensions) for 8th grade. The school site Promotion Committee will meet with parents/guardians to decide whether extenuating medical circumstances caused the absences. If absences exceed the allowable number, the student may petition the school site Promotion Committee to request an approved plan.
- Suspensions Allowed: Students must have no more than 10 days of suspension for the year or no more than three days of suspension in the third trimester.
- All financial obligations must be cleared prior to participation in the ceremony.
Students must meet these requirements in order to participate in any promotion ceremony or 8th grade end-of-year activities.
Any student who does not complete one of the aforementioned competencies may request a hearing before the Promotion Ceremony Review Panel. This panel will review the advisability of differential standards based on assessed need.